Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Jury Service

I recently received a letter which most people dread coming through the door. A jury citation for Inverness High Court. My first reaction was to think of all the reasons I couldn't go like I have no childcare, what if the accused comes to get me on the way home, etc. Then I started telling some friends about it and they would say things like "you should be excused because of childcare issues", "I don't know why they keep asking mums with young children to go, it's just not fair" and so I started feeling justified calling to say I couldn't find anyone to look after the children for me. However, Dave kept telling me I would probably enjoy it if I just got organised enough to get there and my conscience was telling me that I needed to exhaust all childcare possibilites before excusing myself. I reluctantly called another childminder who had space for Fin and visited her that week to make sure everything was ok. I attended for a couple of days before being released from Jury service by default, fortunately number 51 wasn't picked. I wouldn't exactly say I enjoyed it but felt i did my duty as a citizen of the country.

1 comment:

Girls Galore said...

Christine - our jury service summons almost look exactly the same, and my initial reaction is usually the same - how in the heck do I get out of this.